Pre/post operative instructions for minimal sedation
- A responsible adult, over 18 years of age must accompany the patient to the clinic and remain here throughout the entire procedure. Following the sedation, a responsible adult must escort the patient home, and a responsible adult shout remain with the patient until fully awake.
- A parent or legal guardian mush accompany minors (persons under the age of 18).
- Unless specifically directed otherwise, patients must adhere to the following instructions.
No solid food for 6 hours before the start of the procedure.
* No opaque liquids for 6 hours before the start of the procedure (coffee, milk, orange juice, etc…).
* Clear liquids allowed until 2 hours before the start of the procedure (water, apple or cranberry juice).
* No food or drink the last 2 hours before the start of the procedure.
* Take all medicines as normally scheduled unless specifically directed otherwise by the dentist (if in the last 2 hours, use a tiny sip of water if necessary).
* Make every effort to minimize smoking for 12 hours before the start of the procedure.
* At least one fingernail needs to be available (without polish or artificial nail) the day of the procedure.
*Shoes should have low or flat heels.
- Following the sedation, patients should refrain from driving an automobile, drinking alcohol or engaging in any activity that requires alertness until at least the next day or until the patient is fully recovered from the effects of the sedation drugs. The time frame may vary from patient to patient. The dentist will discuss the use of narcotic containing pain medication in the immediate postoperative period.
FAILURE TO FOLLOW ANY OF THESE INSTRUCTIONS MAY RESULT IN CANCELLATION OF THE SEDATION PROCEDURE