On the day of implant placement, Please:
- Keep biting on the gauze provided for a total time of 2 hours and replace the gauze every 20 to 30 minutes as necessary. If you are still bleeding, soak a tea bag in water and bite down on it.
- Place a cold towel or an ice bag on your face for 10 minutes on, then 10 minutes off for the first hour to help reduce swelling. Repeat during the course of the day as necessary.
- You can eat soft and cold food such as mashed potatoes, yogurt, smoothies, juice…etc on the other side of the mouth.
- Avoid eating on the side of surgery especially the first day, this might lead to early failure of sutures holding the gums in place. This can be difficult since numbness usually lasts up to 7 hours after surgery.
- Avoid smoking for the next 72 hours (3 days).
- Keep your tongue and finger away from the surgery site and sutures.
On the following day after surgery:
- Rinse your mouth with warm water and salt (½ tea spoon salt to a glass of water) for 30 seconds 3 times a day for the next 3 days.
After 14 days:
- Sutures will be removed in the office and implant will be followed up with 4-6 months after surgery to be uncovered and restored.